Continuing with A Week of Portions…
I’ve had the seemingly difficult Cordon Bleu Chicken many times, and when I had homemade versions and asked for the recipe, I was given a vague description and/or a massive list of ingredients and directions. Even when I was looking for an “easy” version on Pinterest, I was getting some with over 5 ingredients. Well, I found one that I adjusted, aka “semi-homemade,” and my husband couldn’t tell the difference. I really simplified it, as it doesn’t have the “cheesy sauce” on top.
This meal is 415 calories per serving, and this recipe makes 4 servings. (Please note that the chicken breasts I use are big. The smaller breasts tend to end up together in a smaller… usually shredded, taco-like dish.)
Cordon Bleu Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved (butterfly split) and pounded flat with the smooth side of meat tenderizing hammer, so you’ll have 4 flat chicken breasts to work with
- 4 slices of swiss cheese of your choice
- 8 slices of black forest ham of your choice
- 1 cup of bread crumbs (for this one, I ended up using panko due to running out of crumbs. Oops.)
- 2 Tbs white pepper, grounded
- Toothpicks, number depends on how big the chicken roll is.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking pan with foil and spray it with non-stick spray.
- Mix bread crumbs and white pepper together in a container or a plate.
- Place 1 breast on the mix; make sure only one side is breaded.
- Place 2 slices of ham on non-breaded side of chicken, covering the breast.
- Place 1 slice of swiss cheese on top of the ham near the middle of the breast.
- Roll the breast over on itself away from you (think rolling a pinwheel sandwich or sushi roll).
- Secure chicken roll with toothpicks and place finished chicken roll on baking pan.
- Repeat with rest of the breasts.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on whether or not your oven is gas – 20 mins – or electric – 30 mins) until chicken is thoroughly cooked and swiss cheese has slightly browned.
Cordon Bleu Chicken in mid-bake
- 2 large or 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick (finger’s width)
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced 1/2 inch thick and halved (I’ve always called this Yellow Zucchini… *laughs*)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking pan with foil and non-stick spray.
- Toss zucchini and squash, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl until coated.
- Spread veggies on baking pan; some overlap is fine.
- Bake on middle rack (if cooking with the above Cordon Bleu Chicken) for 10 to 15 minutes.
*** Cook time really depends on how you like your zucchini. I like mine with a bit more crisp (less cooking), while my husband likes it softer (more cooking), so I compromised and put them in halfway through the chicken cooking. That way, everything finished at the same time. ***
I’ll make this extremely easy for you. Cook as much as you’d like, just make sure you measure only 1/4 cup of the cooked product when you’re in the plating stage.
I used Barilla alfredo sauce and Barilla penne pasta, so it’s semi-homemade, right?
There you have it. My easy Cordon Bleu Chicken meal. Note to chef: I only use what veggies are in season, else I’d be using frozen veggies. Since My husband prefers to avoid broccoli, and I prefer to avoid peas, what’s fresh at the store is what I go for. So, if you have a veggie side/dish you’d like me to try, e-mail me! I like to try anything and everything… as long as I can get my hands on the ingredients.