With the month of November coming to a close, on this 29th day, I want to express my gratitude for writers. It’s been said that every story that’s told today is just a copy of a story that’s already been told, but I believe that the saying is not 100% true. If that were the case, no one would get sucked into love stories or mystery thrillers or get scared in tales of horror.
I wouldn’t be able to read my favorite fantasy authors – George RR Martin, JRR Tolkien, RA Salvatore, Robert Jordan – and get thrown around, emotionally, in their stories if they were all the same. I wouldn’t get attached to characters like Arya (A Song of Ice and Fire), Jo (The Little Women), or Katniss (The Hunger Games) if they were all the same.
It takes a creative person to process elaborate characters and tales that drain the reader mentally and emotionally, and for all the authors I’ve come to love, hate, envy, cry over, desire to strangle, and hug, I’m extremely grateful for the chance to read (and listen when it comes down to audio books) and become inspired to write.
- George RR Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones series)
- RA Salvatore, The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, Legacy of the Drow, The Hunter’s Blades Trilogy (aka Drizzt, the Drow)
- Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time
- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, Emma
- Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Little House series
- Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
- JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Get inspired and thank those who have inspired you.