Introduction: It’s the holiday season again, so it’s time to start prepping the kitchen to set the dinner table. I made this recipe back in 2011, when I spent my first Thanksgiving in California. It was good, and I’m considering making it this year or next… even if it’s not for Thanksgiving. *smiles*
- 4 cans of French green beans, drained (I was lucky enough to find frozen French green beans and used those. Just chopped them up into bite size pieces.)
- 4 Tbs butter, divided
- 4 oz baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups corn cereal (I used regular corn flakes)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
If using FRESH or FROZEN French green beans:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the beans and cook for until just tender but still firm.
- Remove the beans from the water to a large bowl of ice water to preserve color and stop the cooking.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and saute about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir for another minute, to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Whisk in the sour cream.
- Simmer for just a couple of minutes to bring the flavors together and taste for seasoning.
- Cut the green beans into 2-inch pieces.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small pan.
- Crush the cereal flakes in a resealable plastic bag and add them to the pan with the butter.
- Toss to coat.
- Spread the green beans over the bottom of a 9-inch casserole dish.
- Pour all of the mushroom sauce mixture over the beans and top with the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with the buttered cereal flakes and bake in the preheated 400°F oven, until light golden brown and bubbly, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
*** If you have a recipe you’d like to share or recommend for me to try, please feel free to let me know via Contact Me. -Elle