First recipe for Short Stack Story Time goes to my dear friend, Arlie Zachary.
“I was 9 or 10 when mama taught me. I don’t remember specifics. I just remember always being in the kitchen with mama and her telling me, ‘this is how we make such and such.’ No specific measurements, unless we were baking. She always tasted everything. Just to make sure she added enough seasonings. The main seasonings we used were salt and pepper. Cream and butter were always in our house. Though, she started buying margarine when butter started getting more expensive.” — Arlie Zachary
4-6 rustic potatoes
1 stick of butter
1 can (14 oz) of cream or condensed milk
Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Peel and wash and cut potatoes into bite size pieces and place in medium pot.
2. Add water to cover the potatoes.
3. Boil until they are very tender.
4. Add stick of butter and can of cream/condensed milk.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Let boil another 5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
*** My dear Arlie: Thank you so much for sharing your mom’s family recipe for potato soup. I know you have fond memories of your mom, and now, she can get giddy whenever someone cooks this simple, yet delicious recipe in their kitchen. – Elle